Bradley’s 19 Highlights from 2019
As we take a look back at 2019, we’d like to thank you for your continued loyalty and support of the many initiatives we have undertaken to improve the travel experience for our passengers. Indeed, it was a great year of ongoing growth and transformation at Bradley International Airport. Here are 19 highlights we are particularly proud of:
- We completed our seventh consecutive year of passenger growth.
- We introduced a new carrier, Frontier Airlines. Known for its low cast fares, Frontier expanded their footprint quickly this year, now providing service to Orlando, Denver, Raleigh-Durham and Miami out of Bradley.
- Our nonstop service to Dublin with Aer Lingus marked a milestone with the delivery of the airline’s new A321neo LR aircraft. Bradley was the first airport to receive the new aircraft, which brings many benefits to our travelers, including WiFi, more business class seats, and an overall more comfortable experience.
- Southwest Airlines celebrated its 20th anniversary at Bradley. The carrier now flies to nine popular nonstop destinations out of Bradley.
- After much anticipation, we completed a roadway realignment project to reimagine the roadway system connecting Route 20 to the airport, enhancing safety and providing more space for the construction of our new Ground Transportation Center.
- We were pleased to officially commence construction on our new, $210 million Ground Transportation Center, which will truly transform travel out of Bradley when it opens three years from now.
- We continued to focus on improving our dining options, and we were pleased to work with our tenants to coordinate extensive renovations at Black Bear Saloon and Fresh City. We also negotiated with new tenants to launch some exciting food and beverage concepts that will be announced in 2020.
- To our passenger’s delight, we also opened a popular candy store, Natalie’s Candy Jar, and a sports apparel store, Store 47, earlier this year.
- We announced the introduction of a new kiosk program which will highlight local retail businesses. These local businesses will be introduced in early 2020.
- In collaboration with the Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation, we also opened our first indoor pet relief area, adding another convenient amenity for passengers traveling with their pets.
- Our terminal-wide restroom renovation project is ongoing, and we opened our first set of newly renovated restrooms. The restroom renovation project, which is phased to ensure an adequate number of facilities in the terminal at any given time, will continue into next year.
- Plans are currently underway to fully renovate and update the baggage claim level. It is anticipated that construction will begin in late 2020.
- For added efficiency and convenience, we introduced a new parking website with our parking operator, allowing passengers to check parking availability via their website.
- We launched and expanded a new explosive detection K9 program at the TSA screening checkpoint, which expedites screening and provides another layer of security.
- We successfully partnered with the TSA and the DMV to launch an airport-wide information campaign about the importance of REAL ID requirements.
- To better assist our passengers, our ambassador program now also includes ‘roaming’ ambassadors throughout the terminal. As of November 30, 2019, the program had helped 212,455 passengers for the year, compared to 130,643 assists for all of 2018.
- We held our first-ever Customer Appreciation Event which was very well-received by our passengers. Throughout the year, we continued to host events for our passengers often partnering with local community stakeholders.
- We have continued to promote cargo growth at the airport, resulting in hundreds of new jobs and nearly 30% growth in the cargo processed at Bradley.
- Conde Nast Traveler named Bradley International Airport as one of the top five US airports in 2019 – now three years in a row.
We are working on many exciting initiatives in 2020 and look forward to sharing them with you in the new year.
Bradley International Airport (BDL) invites you to love the journey at New England's second-largest airport. Recognized nationally by leading travel publications for its ease of travel, Bradley International Airport is ready to welcome you with new nonstops, expanded services, and convenient travel. The award-winning airport is operated by the Connecticut Airport Authority, and its operations are entirely self-funded. The airport contributes nearly $3.6 billion to the regional economy.
*Some nonstop flights may operate only during certain time periods of the year (seasonally). For the latest flight information, please visit the airline's website.